We all know the life of an actor can be unpredictable: Waiting and rejection are common themes in our day to day lives. However, I refuse to believe our fates are left to chance (or in this case, casting directors). Today, I want to share 5 easy tips for taking control of your acting career.
- Build your “Rolodex” – Take down contact information for everyone you meet. Keep your business cards organized and immediately enter them into an online database. Jot down an interesting fact about the person, as well as where and when you met. The better the notes, the more likely you are to build a genuine relationship with the individual.
- Set a Manageable Budget – Let’s face it, acting is expensive. Between classes and headshots you could spend thousands of dollars a year on your career. To keep your finances above water, set aside a certain amount each month for the betterment of your craft. I recommend using the app Mint. It alerts you to overspending and sends a great weekly summary of your cash flow.
- Take Notes – After an audition, take time to write down the casting directors feedback. These comments are serious and given to help you improve your skills. Take the time to self reflect and improve upon your audition for next time.
- Research – Is your monologue or song choice starting to sound stale? Freshen up your material and find pieces that allow you to capitalize on your talents.
- Set Priorities – Acting can be incredibly draining. To combat the acting blues, set priorities and hold yourself accountable for achieving goals. Small steps, like dedicating 2 hours a day to memorizing a new script, can lead to big shifts in your career. At the start of each week write down 3 new attainable goals and spend the next 7 days going after them with focus and pride!
Share with ClaimFame how you take control of your career. Have these tips been empowering? We want to hear from you!
Mason O’Brien is the owner and operator of Bluprint coaching, a life coaching service based out of Los Angeles. Mason, “The Practical Coach”, works one-on-one with clients during periods of transition to design the next and best phase of their life! For more details visit Bluprintcoaching.com.