Do you want to perform on stage but the thought of “going live” scares you to death!? Are you afraid of making a mistake without the option of a do-over? Fear not, we have compiled the best advice for those looking to perform under the lights. After you read this, we bet the Great White Way will soon be calling….
1. Make sure you know your lines! Practice, rehearse and re-read. You can’t mess up if you’re prepared!
2. Warm up – Get your voice and body in-tuned with the theater. Make sure the people in the nose bleeds will be able to hear you and see your mannerisms.
3. Stay active – Never go dead on stage. Even if your character doesn’t have any lines, be an engaged participant in the show.
4. Keep a journal – Following the show, note the positive aspects of your performance, as well as areas that need improvement.You can only grow as an actor by continuing to improve and analyze your work.
5. Fake it – If you miss a cue, flub a line, or freeze don’t let it throw off your entire performance. As they say, fake it till you make it. Chances are you are the only one who noticed the error!
Now it’s time to get on stage. Test out these tips and see your star shine!