Success takes time. Success takes discipline. Success takes patience. The good news? Success, even in its smallest iterations, is 100% attainable. And hot damn, there’s no better feeling than that of sweet success! Instead of seeing success as the unattainable peak of a mountaintop, find success in the small, daily things you do. Trust that you will reach success of all magnitudes when you take the small steps necessary to get there.
Here are 5 sure signs that you’re on the right path to career success:
1. You make the most of your day. Sounds simple right? But sometimes it’s hard to manage our time efficiently! When you make the most of every waking hour, however, you’re sure to accomplish more than you had every imagined. Hit the pillow every night feeling good about how you’ve spent your day.
TIP: Right before you go to bed each night make a schedule for the following day. This will help you keep on track and hold you accountable to yourself. You’ll be surprised how much you can juggle and actually accomplish in a day.
2. You stay physically active. Physical movement is key to success, especially in acting. We are not meant to be sedentary animals. Heck, we wanna move and groove and dance and prance! Ok, well maybe not prance, but you get the point. Physical activity is SO important to overall health and happiness. So, get up, breathe, and move! Being warmed up and physically grounded in your body will help your auditioning and acting in a HUGE way.
TIP: Squeeze physical movement into your day no matter how busy you are. Even if it’s 5 minutes of stretching before and audition, or a quick run first thing in the morning. Trust me, it works. Plus, you’ll feel better about yourself throughout the day.
3. You do one thing every day to move closer to your goals. It only takes one thing. Sometimes we get overwhelmed thinking we have SO much to do and then we become immobilized. So, instead of making long to-do lists, just take one step every day towards your goals.
TIP: Set a daily intention to help you get closer to your goals. For example, “apply to 3 castings calls today.” Or, “send a thank you note to X Casting Director.”
4. You choose positivity. Get rid of everything that doesn’t serve you. Negative people, negative thoughts… you get the point. In this industry, people will hold you back and be threatened by you. Just dust ‘dem shoulders off, hold your head high, and trust your core. You have everything you need inside of you. Don’t let toxic energy seep in.
TIP: Sometimes it’s hard to avoid toxic people and bad energy. But what you CAN do is change the way you let people, and your own thoughts, affect you. Practice patience and don’t react. Stay true to yourself and as the ol’ adage goes “keep calm and carry on” folks… it’s as simple as inhaling and exhaling.
5. You embrace your fears instead of running from them. Who are we kidding here: Every human–actor or not–has fears. And guess what? By choosing to pursue a career in entertainment, we’ve chosen careers brimming with daily uncertainty and discomfort. But living int hat space gets us nowhere. Swallow your fears, remember that you’re on the right path, and go forth! Take that leap. Chances are…it won’t kill you!
TIP: Do one thing every day that scares you, or makes you uncomfortable. Think you’re a bad dancer? Try a dance class! Heck, have some fun with your fears and soon they won’t even faze you.