Do you ever sit and wonder, “what do they know that I don’t?” If that is the case, today is your lucky day! I am ready to reveal the 5 secrets every successful actor knows. Acting is a tough business. You need to be a chameleon who is smart, cunning, poised and determined. But how to do you encompass all those facets at one time? Follow this sound advice and watch your career soar to new levels.
1. Loosen Up – When you are in the audition room or on set don’t act uptight. People gravitate towards the suave, confident person. Give off an air of casualness and wait for the roles to come. I promise that once you let go of the nervous energy you will become your complete self.
2. Buck Up – You have to have a thick skin to make it in this business. Do your best to not take things too seriously or personally. Plan a full day after an audition so that you don’t sit and dwell if you receive negative notes. As an actor you always have to carry on.
3. Tone Up – They may say they eat pizza on the regular in Us Weekly but all actors are consistent with their workouts. Looking and feeling good is paramount in this business. You want to appear your best on camera and to do that you must be living a healthy lifestyle. Don’t skip the gym, the hikes, the boxing classes.
4. Straighten Up – Have you ever seen a celebrity with bad posture? NO! Standing up straight conveys confidence and poise. Work to develop a strong core and shoulders. This will showcase your best self. I know from experience when you walk into a casting call standing tall you are the one that gets noticed!
5. Tighten Up – To be a successful actor you must know your craft. Tighten up your knowledge of the industry and the script you are reading. All successful actors are well-versed in their material. They understand the motivation and they immerse themselves in the language. To embody soldier Chris Kyle in “American Idol”, Bradley Cooper didn’t break from his Texas accent during the shoot. He woke up every morning and listened to the voice of Kyle on his headphones so he would be consistently in character.
Take these secrets with you and break a leg!